New To Yoga?
The La Jolla Yoga Center offers many different classes for beginners. Whether you are taking yoga for the first time ever or you have just started your practice, there are a variety of classes that can help you build a solid foundation to yoga.
View current True Beginner class schedule.
Beginners Will Benefit From:
- Instruction on
- Gentle pace allows
students to learn alignment principles
on Your First Day
- Arrive 10 minutes before your first class.
- Sign in for your class with the front desk.
- Let our front desk team member know that it is your first time at the LJYC and he/she will give you a tour of the center and let you know where your first class is.
- For your convenience, we have yoga mat rentals for $2 as well as mats for sale.
- In the back of the center there are bathrooms for you to change and shower.
If you have recently started your yoga practice and have already taken
the True Beginner classes, you may want to check out:
- Anusara-Inspired 1/2: create a solid foundation for your yoga practice by exploring optimal alignment in poses in a fun, heart-lifting way using the latest information in biomechanics to work with your body.
- Silver Age: benefit from yoga at any age in this class designed especially for seniors to practice yoga safely and comfortably.
- Hatha: gentle practice to increase your strength, flexibility, and balance. Relax deeply and undo unnecessary tension with this series of postures, yogic breathing, and meditation.
- Hatha Healing/Pranayama: become a more active participant in your body awareness, Health and breathing by beginning to balance your life with yoga and pranayama.
- Hatha/Raja: dynamically move your body with an emphasis on unity of movement, breath, and focus to achieve greater vitality and awareness.
- Meditation: pause inwards with effortless meditation and benefit holistically with balance throughout the body, mind, senses, ego, intellect and feelings.
- Pilates: focus on core work to improve posture, balance, and strength; an ideal complement to yoga. Condition and strengthen your "power pack" or abdominal wall to facilitate a greater enjoyment of your yoga asana practice.
- Vinyasa 1/2 & Vinyasa Mixed: moving meditation to strengthen your body, ease your mind, and connect you with your internal rhythm; adapted for those newer to yoga practice
- Yin Yoga/Restorative: relaxing floor poses are held for 3-5 minutes to access new depths in postures, deeper ranges of motion, and an increased flow of energy
- Yoga for a Healthy Back: Iyengar style class that uses therapeutic yoga poses to strengthen the back and core muscles, gentle stretches to free the spine, and relaxation to encourage the spinal musculature to release and relax.
Speak with one of our knowledgeable yoga team members to help guide you as you are beginning your journey into yoga.
"I am new to yoga and I have to tell you what a great experience it has been to come to LJYC several times a week. The caliber of people that work here is outstanding. They are bright and friendly, and most importantly, knowledgeable. They all posess their own teaching style and demonstrate a deep understanding of the physical and spiritual aspects of the practice and 'art' of yoga."
"I started with your True Beginner classes...[The instructor] is very skilled at describing the poses and why we should be doing them in the precise way she demonstrates them. She gives each student individual instruction and genuinely cares about her students unique issues or difficulties (as we all develop with age, I'm afraid) and is clearly passionate about what she does. I have advanced to the Anusara 1/2 as a result, and am enjoying the challenge as well as the strength I have gained."